Choropeth Mapping for Students

Mapping population density and wine consumption in Europe!

For this assignment, we used some fun and unique data. This map is truly organized chaos, as it has a lot going on. But overall, the information works well together to quickly show areas where wine consumption may or may not correlate with the population density of different European countries.

We continued experimenting with the different classifications. I used ArcGIS Pro to symbolize Europe's population density (people per square mile) using the Quantile classification and five classes, which made the map intuitive and sensibly broke down the data. Then, I used Graduated Symbols for the wine consumption, showing smaller and larger symbols for wine consumption in 2012 based on the number of liters per capita. Some of the smaller areas drank the most wine, while some of the largest areas are the least populated and consumed the least amount of wine. This was a very interesting and fun map to prepare:


Most of the time it took to create this map was related to the labeling and layout. Using lots of different options, I was able to place an extensive amount of information within the frame without overlapping. I put a halo behind the text labels, and used an extra frame to highlight a key area on the map. It took a few tries to get the graduated symbols the correct size for the wine consumption. We had an extra credit option for uploading our own proportional symbols, and I was able to find a nice SVG. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the small size of the file and it lacked good enough resolution to load properly in the layout. This was a good learning experience, but I reverted back to standard symbols due to time constraints. In the end, I was able to achieve the result I wanted.

This is a very exciting addition to my portfolio!

Comments