Geoprocessing Features with Python in ArcGIS Pro and Spyder

This two part assignment was extremely satisfying, and finally gave us a chance to use some of what we have been learning over the last few weeks. 

It seemed beneficial that I am comfortable with ArcGIS Pro's geoprocessing tools, because I was able to concentrate more on the code than on what the tools were doing with the data. To this day, I feel that managing the data and maintaining a smooth workflow is one of the biggest challenges, especially when exporting outputs. 

Building a model is extremely useful for repetitive geoprocessing and defining a workflow. I was grateful to build and use a model as part of this assignment, as I have not yet gotten comfortable with building models and it is a desirable skill. The "auto-arrange" option was a life-saver. For the result, we had selected and erased farmland that was not prime, and then clipped the soils shapefile to the basin shapefile to narrow it down, getting this result:


The second portion of the assignment finally asks us to create a stand-alone script without a template. First I imported arcpy and set my environment, and then I added XY coordinates to a feature. Additionally, we added a 1000 Meter buffer to the feature and dissolved it, exporting it as a new separate, single feature to the applicable folder. The results of the script are shown below:


For me, the hardest part was making it print correctly. At first, I had trouble placing the '/n' so that it worked properly. Eventually, I realized that working with two print statements, instead of combining everything into one, worked much better. After this assignment, I am feeling accomplished  - we are truly making progress! Learning Python is a lot like learning a different language, and I am finding that I am getting stuck less often, and troubleshooting much easier. 

The debugging,  that we learned last week, has been a wonderful help!

Comments