Terrain Visualization - Hillshade and Landcover

In this lab, we explored ways to visualize terrain in our maps. We used contour lines in the first part of our assignment, and learned how to annotate our labels with a mask for a pleasing presentation of legible labels. Then we created hillshade effects, both traditional and multi-directional, and compared the results.

The exercises led to a better understanding of how hillshade worked, and I decided to use the multi-directional hillshade option for the assigned map of Yellowstone National Park. A landcover map, we layered the topology under a layer of symbolized classification types. These classifications mainly included types of vegetation, so I used a series of greens, browns, and oranges for the unique symbolization. The effect created a map with terrain "texture" to represent elevations. The resulting map image is below:


The multi-direction hillshade shows more detail for a more intuitive interpretation of the land, where as the traditional resulted in the symbology looking a bit dark in some areas. I did like that a few regions of elevation were emphasized for a more dramatic effect, but I chose the better option for the entire map versus pinpointing specific areas. For a different map or project objective, I would probably experiment between the two to see which one works better. The tool is quick, and the outputs really help to give map viewers a better visualization of the region's terrain. 

I am noticing as I complete these assignments that the layouts are becoming quicker to organize, and I feel like design decisions are coming more naturally to me. I have background colors saved, visual hierarchy combined with proper color representation of features helps me to narrow down the best options, and a "personal style' is developing. This is a relief, because I have spent way too much time messing with the size, placement, and design of basic map elements. 


Next up, cholorpeth maps... coming soon!


Comments