Back at UWF for Summer 2021!


Introducing the next and final course to finish my GIS Certificate at UWF: Applications in GIS!

Things are already off to an interesting start! For orientation, we are introducing ourselves - in this case, a re-introduction of sorts - but I am Emily, and this is my blog for sharing assignments and projects completed for UWF courses. 

I live in Clearwater, Florida, where we just bunkered down for Tropical Storm/Hurricane Elsa, although in this case the preparations and schedule interruptions felt more intense than the storm itself. We have been living in Florida since 2009, when we moved down here in search of new opportunities. 

We moved here from Sandusky, Ohio (home of Cedar Point) and have since found our favorite place and home to be in Pinellas County. I became a non-traditional student at Eckerd College in 2017 to fill out my volunteer experience with a degree, and started at UWF in August 2019 after graduating from Eckerd. I am a GIS intern for the Southwest Florida Water Management District, which has been essential in getting hands-on experience with GIS and remote sensing projects.

This August 2021, at the conclusion of this course, I will have officially completed my GIS Certificate. I am eager to work for non-profit or public service, such as a position in conservation, water/resource management or emergency services. Right now I have a great setup between part-time jobs, with my internship being supplemented by my position as a Guest Experience Associate at Clearwater Marine Aquarium. Meanwhile, I am using the GIS Certificate as entry into UWF's GIS Administration Master's program. Looking forward to seeing what happens next!

As part of this assignment, I had fun building a Story Map that shows a timeline with photos of where my husband and I started and where we are now. Thanks for reading!

Emily's Story Map - An Unexpected Trek

Comments